Welcome to our Science Page
Science in our school is about developing children’s ideas and ways of working that enable them to make sense of the world in which they live through investigation, as well as using and applying process skills.
We want children at St. Stephen's to develop an interest in science and engineering through practical hands on experiences. For every child to become an inquisitive learner with a passion to develop and test their own theories.
Through effective teaching of Science we aim to:
- develop each child’s ability to observe and find patterns in observation, raise questions, experiment and investigate reason systematically and logically, solve problems and communicate,
- complement other areas of the curriculum, with children applying mathematical and literacy skills,
- support children to have the skills to enable them to access relevant scientific information, to enable them to speak confidently about planning and following through their enquiries,
- develop children’s ability to work in a variety of ways including, working together in groups, independently, in partners and as a whole class,
- follow the programmes of study at each Key Stage of the National Curriculum, including the Early Learning Goals for the Foundation Stage, in order to develop scientific skills, knowledge and understanding,
- provide a scientifically stimulating environment.
- nurture and inspire pupils to have a positive response to science and aspire to do well or even become scientist themselves.
In the academic year of 2017-2018 St. Stephen's are proud to have held a whole school Science and Engineering week . Each child had the opportunity to design, build and test a vehicle as part of a national competition. We were delighted to hear that three of our EYFS children have been shortlisted in the competition, well done!
Primary Engineering cars we have made.
During the academic year science clubs are taught by Mrs Carr (Open to all year groups throughout the academic year). These provide additional opportunities for children to participate in practical science and engineering activities.
EYFS Investigation. Exploring mirrors and exploring our world around us.-2018-2019.
Here are a few useful websites featuring video clips and further information.