Welcome to Year 4
Your class teachers are:
4 Ash - Miss Pickering 4 Lilac - Miss Hillary
Year 4 is an exciting year at St. Stephen's. We are really lucky to study some fascinating topics like The Romans, The water cycle and Electricity and we will also go on amazing trips to Ribchester Roman Museum and Manchester Science Museum.
Autumn Term: The Romans
Year 4's first topic will be 'The Romans'. We will study how the Roman Empire expanded through Europe and the way the Romans lived. Our trip to the Roman museum in Ribchester will teach us even more and allow use to handle real Roman artefacts and try on Roman armour!
Below are our interesting areas of focus for this half term in each subject:
- Literacy texts: Until I met Dudley - Explanation texts
- Maths: Measurement, Multiplication and Division
- Science: The digestive system
- History: The Romans
- RE: Christmas and the symbolism of light
- French: On y va (All aboard)
- Music: Ukulele lessons
Ribchester Roman Museum Trip
We had a fantastic time exploring Ribchester Roman museum. We saw lots of interesting artefacts and we explored parts of a fort and the Roman bath house.
Dates for your diary
- Meet the teacher - Tuesday 11th September 3:30pm
- Parent's Meetings - Monday 1st October 8:30am - 3:30pm, Monday 8th October 1:00 - 3:30pm, Tuesday 9th October 3:30 - 5:30pm and Wednesday 10th October 5:00-7:00pm.
- Harvest Service in Church led by Year 4 - Thursday 4th October 9:00am.
- HALF TERM - week beginning 22nd October.
- Bring a parent to lunch - Wednesday 31st October.
- Ribchester Roman Museum Trip - Tuesday 6th November
- Christmas Fair - Saturday 1st December.
- KS2 to Bolton Octagon for The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - Thursday 6th December.
- SCHOOL CLOSES - Friday 21st December.
Home Learning Expectations
Homework will be given out every Friday and will include: spellings, times tables and a reading, writing or maths focus that may link to the current topic. This is expected to be handed in fully completed by Wednesday at the latest, with a spelling and times tables test on Friday. Children will bring home a reading book, which should be read every night, and their diaries signed to say that they have done this.
Year 4 Curriculum Map
Please have a look at our Year 4 Curriculum Map which will give you a detailed overview of our learning this
year in all subject areas. It also gives you extra exciting information about any trips, visits and additional learning experiences the children will enjoy this year.
Useful information and links to websites
Below you will find our Year 4 curriculum newsletter, along with websites that will help you to support your child's learning at home, using fun and interactive games and songs.