Your class teachers are:
4 Ash - Miss Pickering 4 Lilac - Miss Hillary
Year 4 is an exciting year at St. Stephen's. We are really lucky to study some fascinating topics like The Romans and Electricity and we will go out on amazing trips. You will be receiving letters from us about forthcoming trips to the Ribchester Roman Museum (Autumn term) and Manchester Science Museum (Spring term).
Dates for your diary
- Meet the teacher - Tuesday 11th September 3:30pm
- Parent's Meetings - Monday 1st October 8:30am - 3:30pm, Monday 8th October 1:00 - 3:30pm, Tuesday 9th October 3:30 - 5:30pm and Wednesday 10th October 5:00-7:00pm.
- Harvest Service in Church led by Year 4 - Thursday 4th October 9:00am.
- HALF TERM - week beginning 22nd October.
- Bring a parent to lunch - Wednesday 31st October.
- Ribchester Roman Museum Trip - Tuesday 6th November
- Christmas Fair - Saturday 1st December.
- KS2 to Bolton Octagon for The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - Thursday 6th December.
- SCHOOL CLOSES - Friday 21st December.
Autumn Term: When in Rome
Year 4's first topic will be 'The Romans'. We will study how the Roman Empire expanded through Europe and the way the Romans lived. Our trip to the Roman museum in Ribchester will teach us even more and allow use to handle real Roman artefacts and try on Roman armour!
Below are our interesting areas of focus for this half term in each subject:
- Literacy texts: Escape from Pompeii.
- Maths: Place Value (within 10,000), addition and subtraction (within 10,000)
- Science: States of Matter
- History: The Romans
- RE: Psalms, David and God
- French: On y va (All aboard)
- Music: Ukulele lessons
Home Learning Expectations
Homework will be given out every Friday and will include: spellings, times tables and a reading, writing or maths focus that may link to the current topic. This is expected to be handed in fully completed by Friday at the latest, with a spelling and times tables test on the same day. Children will bring home a reading book, which should be read every night, and their diaries signed to say that they have done this.
Year 4 Curriculum Map
Please have a look at our Year 4 Curriculum Map which will give you a detailed overview of our learning this
year in all subject areas. It also gives you extra exciting information about any trips, visits and additional learning experiences the children will enjoy this year.
Useful information and links to websites
Below you will find our Year 4 curriculum newsletter, along with websites that will help you to support your child's learning at home, using fun and interactive games and songs.