Welcome to Year 1!
Welcome to our Year 1 class page.
Our class teachers are:
Miss S Patel Mrs G Farrimond
1 Rowan 1 Birch
This Week's Oscar and Captain's Table Winners
Oscar Winner - Hafsah Khan
Captains Table Winner - Ayaan Arif
Oscar Winner - Yahya Ravat
Captains Table Winner - Ayaan Ali
Spring One - From Sahara to Antarctica
As part of this topic will be exploring hot and cold climates by comparing The Sahara Desert to The Antarctic. Children will be looking at the climates and learning how animals and plants survive in different climates.
Below are our interesting areas of focus for this half term in each subject:
- Phonics focus: Securing Set 2 Sounds and learning Set 3 sounds.
- Literacy texts: Little Penguin Lost and At the Zoo
- Maths: Addition and Subtraction and Place Value within 50
- Science: Big Question - Are all things living?
- Topic (Geography): Big Question - Why don't penguins need to fly?
- RE: Big Question - Why was Jesus a special friend?
- PSHE: Big Question - How does democracy help us have an equal society?.
Our British Value this half term is: Democracy
Our Christian Value this half term is: Self-esteem
These values are woven in our worship and our learning.
Year 1 Curriculum Map
Please have a look at our Year 1 Curriculum Map which will give you a detailed overview of our learning this year in all subject areas. It also gives you extra exciting information about any trips, visits and additional learning experiences the children will enjoy this year!
Year 1 Clubs - Spring Term
Reading Club (Spring 1)
Arts and Crafts Club (Spring 1 and 2)
Reading Buddies (Spring 1 and 2)
Spring Term - Dates for your diary
- Monday 7th January - School reopens at 8:45 am
- Thursday 10th January - 'Our School Vision' talk for parents
- Friday 15th February - School finishes for Half Term at 3.15pm
- Monday 19th November - World Nursery Rhyme Week
- Monday 25th February - School reopens at 8.45am
- Monday 25th February - Year One Family Meetings
- Wednesday 27th February - Whole School Family Meetings
- Tuesday 5th March - Book Bus in school (children will choose new books for the class)
- Wednesday 20th March - Parents Lunch
- Thursday 28th March - Mother's Day Assembly at 2.30pm
- Friday 5th April = School closes for Easter holidays
Phonics and Literacy
We love to practise our phonics and literacy skills by singing along to our favourite Scratch Garden songs.
Learn about dividing words, making beats, and counting syllables with this super fun animation:
We use daily number songs to help us learn and recite our number bonds and facts. We love singing along and dancing to Jack Hartmann's counting songs!
Teach your children to count to 100 as they get some great exercise too. This cool kid-friendly song starts out with a message about staying healthy and fit and having fun counting to 100 together.
The following websites will help you to support your child's learning at home, using fun and interactive games and songs.
Year 1 Curriculum Newsletters - 2018/19