At St. Stephen's Church of England Primary we want children to develop an interest in science and engineering through practical hands on experiences and for every child to become an inquisitive learner with a passion to develop and test their own theories.
Science in our school is about developing children’s ideas and ways of working that enable them to make sense of the world in which they live through investigation, as well as using and applying process skills.
Through effective teaching of Science we aim to:
- Develop each child’s ability to observe and find patterns, raise questions, experiment and investigate reason systematically and logically, solve problems and communicate.
- Complement other areas of the curriculum, with children applying mathematical and literacy skills into their science work through the various experiments we undertake.
- Support children to have the skills to enable them to access relevant scientific information, to enable them to speak confidently about planning and following through their enquiries.
- Develop children’s ability to work in a variety of ways including, working independently, collaboratively in groups and with partners and as a whole class. Building confidence to continue this ability into the other area's of learning across the school.
- Follow the programmes of study at each Key Stage of the National Curriculum, including the Early Learning Goals for the Foundation Stage, in order to develop scientific skills, knowledge and understanding,
- Provide a scientifically stimulating environment.
- Nurture and inspire pupils to have a positive response to science and aspiring them to achieve well or even become scientist themselves.
- Encourage children to explore and investigate God's wonderful world that is all around us and enrich their scientific learning through the exciting environment that we have all around us.
During the academic year science clubs are taught by Mrs Carr (Open to all year groups throughout the academic year). These provide additional opportunities for children to participate in practical science and engineering activities.
Here are a few useful websites featuring video clips and further information.
EYFS Investigation throughout 2018-19
St. Stephen's are proud to have held a whole school Science and Engineering week during 2017-18. Each child had the opportunity to design, build and test a vehicle as part of a national competition. We were delighted to hear that three of our EYFS children were shortlisted in the competition and their vehicles were put on display- well done!