Welcome to Year 4
Your class teachers are:
4 Ash - Miss K Pickering 4 Lilac - Miss R Hillary
Year 4 is an exciting year at St. Stephen's. We are really lucky to study some fascinating topics like The Romans, The Water Cycle and Electricity and we will also go on amazing trips to Ribchester Roman Museum and Manchester Science Museum.
Our Spiritual and Religious Learning
This half term we have been learning about Jesus and the miracles he performed. We will look at Bible stories such as 'Jesus Walks On Water' and 'The Transfiguration'.
(Matthew 17 1:8)
"While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”
Key Events in Year 4
- Pop UK Performance - Tuesday 24th September 2019
- Harvest Festival - Friday 4th October 2019
- Come and Watch Me Learn: Guided Reading - Wednesday 9th October 2019
- Ribchester Roman Museum - Thursday 17th October 2019.
- Roman Day - Wednesday 30th October 2019
- Christmas Pantomime - Friday 13th December 2019
- Christmas Parties - Thursday 19th December 2019
- WOPS Ukulele Performance - December 2019
- Come and Watch Me Learn: Maths - February 2020
- Manchester Science Museum - Wednesday 1st April 2020
- WOPS Ukulele Performance - April 2020
- Come and Watch Me Learn: Writing - May 2020
- Anglo-Saxon Visitor - June 2020
- WOPS Ukulele Performance - July 2020
Spring Term: Our Local Area
Through our Geography work this term, we will explore the history of Blackburn and how our environment has changed over the last 50 years. We will look at physical and human changes alongside changes in population and ethnic groups.
Below are our interesting areas of focus for this half term in each subject:
- Literacy texts: Into the Forest by Anthony Browne
- Maths: Multiplication and Division
- Science: The Water Cycle and Electricity
- History/Geography: Our Local Area
- RE: Jesus the son of God
- French: Les animaux
- Music: Ukulele lessons
Ribchester Roman Museum Trip
We had a fantastic time exploring Ribchester Roman museum. We saw lots of interesting artefacts and we explored parts of a fort and the Roman bath house.
Come and Watch Me Learn: Guided Reading
A big thank you to all our parents in Year 4 who joined us for our guided reading session this term. We really enjoyed sharing our learning with you.
Home Learning Expectations
Homework will be given out every Friday and will include: spellings, times tables and a reading, writing or maths focus that may link to the current topic. This is expected to be handed in fully completed by Wednesday at the latest, with a spelling and times tables test on Friday. Children will bring home a reading book, which should be read every night, and their diaries signed to say that they have done this.
Year 4 Curriculum Map
Please have a look at our Year 4 Curriculum Map which will give you a detailed overview of our learning this
year in all subject areas. It also gives you extra exciting information about any trips, visits and additional learning experiences the children will enjoy this year.
Below you will find our Year 4 targets and curriculum newsletters, along with websites that will help you to support your child's learning at home, using fun and interactive games and songs.