We hope that you are as well as can be and are being the best you can for your parents.
Today's lessons are as follows:
Tuesday 31st March
- 9:00 - 10:00 PE- Body workout with Jo Wicks. Ask parents/siblings to join you - can you go the whole hour ? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAxW1XT0iEJo0TYlRfn6rYQ Please stroll down to find the live video.
- 10:00 - 11:00 MATHS - MyMaths Nets 3d shapes. This has been set for everyone and will be due in tomorrow morning at the latest. Please follow the tutorial first and then work through the online homework. Any problems let me know on the blogging system
- 11:00-11:30 READING - Please read a chapter or two of your book . Complete one of the journal activities from the pack sent home. Do this in your purple books/sparkle books.
- 11:30 - 12:00 WRITING - as we are in the middle of a global pandemic, it is clear we are going through a huge moment in History. In years to come people will look back and read/talk about this crisis. Your task is to write a diary entry in your purple book and send a picture on the blog. Your diary entry should be as of now in present tense - Write about home learning, the lockdown, make sure you write your feelings (show not tell) and your hopes for the near future. Remember to include a variety of sentence types, punctuation and the best vocabulary.
- 1:00 - 1:15 Maths fluency - 3/5 of 765 = , Divide 7/8 by 3 = , 24% of 6300 = , 65 - 3.222 = , 76 x 43 =, 1 2/3 + 3 4/5=
- 1:30 - 2:00 RE - Please can you write a prayer - a prayer from your heart asking God to be with us, to unite us and to send us light in these dark times. Can you present it in the form of a heart/hand/dove?
- 2:00 - 3:00 ART - Please click on the link below and choose your own Mayan art piece you would like to draw/shade/paint. Upload your fantastic art work on to our existing blog. https://mayas.mrdonn.org/art.html
- Big question/Newsround responses via the blog.
You have plenty to get on with today! Any problems, let us know via the blogging system.
Happy learning guys!
Mr Seedat, Ms Lalsing & the Y6 team.
Summer Curriculum newsletter
WELCOME TO YEAR 6!
The teachers in Year 6 are :
6 YEW 6 Beech
Mr Seedat Ms Lalsing
Our teaching assistants are :
Mrs Patel Mrs Seedat
What your child will be learning this Summer term:
We will be focusing on World War 2 and as such will be reading Goodnight Mr Tom and Rose Blanche. We are also studying Russia and will be reading Wolf Wilder. We will write: a non-chronological report, a setting description, a personification poem, a narrative story and an instructional text.
We will analyse the use of language across the genres. Our transition unit is called ‘The Arrival’.
In addition we will be revising spelling, punctuation and grammar
We will be following the White Rose scheme of work which will focusing on reasoning this term . We will also study geometry and statistics.
The World War 2 and Russia Topics
We will be exploring communication in History and doing a local study. We will also be studying Russia. We will be looking at how humans communicated through the centuries and how life in Blackburn has changed since World War 2. We will use maps to study the topography of Russia and understand what Britain may have learnt from other countries. In Art, we will be studying Lowry.
We will cover the topic of the Circulatory system as well as Electricity. This will include the function of heart, blood vessels, blood. Impact of diet, exercise, drugs and lifestyle on bodies. In Electricity we will investigate how to change the brightness (revisit), speed and volume (of a buzzer) Recognise, draw and use symbols in simple circuits. Question, reason and explain the cause and effects in varying the components function including why or why not they may work in a circuit.
We will be learning about Ascension & Pentecost delving deeper into the meaning and impact of these events. We will ask big questions: why is the story of Doubting Thomas so important in the Bible? How can this story have an impact on our own lives? What does it teach us about humanity? We will also understand the nature of God, His characteristics and His relationship with people. We will look at people with faith. Explore what it means for a person to have faith and how having faith affects people’s lives, values and decisions. We will explore how Christian people are called to build God’s kingdom here on earth as well as explore what it means to have no faith.
PE – Outdoors
We will be doing Military school and Mayan dancing.
We will plan sensible approaches to physical challenges.
Use & adapt skills & strategies as situations demand.
We will be learning about electronic communication as well as simulations
We will be learning about items of clothing and colours in addition to aspects of grammar and pronunciation including possessive adjectives and present tense verbs.
Dancing in the street using Charanga
Year 6 Curriculum Map
14th Jan: Come and watch me learn (SPAG)
15th Jan: Mayan Day
27th Jan-29th Jan : Robinwood
Week of 12th Feb: Parent family meetings
5th March: World book day
Summer term dates- please note that due to schools being closed, these dates will only be confirmed if school resumes.
11th May - 14th May Sats week cancelled
17th June- KS2 Sports day
30th June- Lightwater Valley
1st July- Transition day for most secondary schools.
2nd July- Cathedral Leavers service
14th July- KS2 Prizegiving
16th July- Leavers Worship with parents to attend.
Essential Learning Experiences (ELE)
Zoolab: The children have the opportunity to explore Rainforest animals for our topic on the Amazon. They will be able to hold the various rainforest animals and learn about how these animals can adapt to their environment.
Junior Citizenship Awards - 2nd October .
Over the next few weeks, the children will be given the opportunity to explore how they become better citizens in preparation for Year 6 and the transition year into Secondary school. This award will end with a final presentation.
Remembrance day: The children will lead the Remembrance service in school. Parents are welcome to attend and then the children will lay a wreath at the Cenotaph.
Mayan Day: The children will participate in the Mayan activities such as drama , playing Pok a Tok etc. They will be able to dress up as a Mayan and taste authentic chocolate.
Robinwood: The children will build resilience and work as a team to undertake a variety of exciting challenges. The year 6 children love this residential as it enables them to bond with their peers and overcome fears they may have had. Activities include: archery, canoeing, zip-wire, trapeze and climbing.
Lightwater Valley- Children will be given the opportunity to earn a well deserved treat after a challenging year. They will develop confidence and self-esteem whilst overcoming their fears.
Year 6 Cathedral visit- Children will spiritually prepare for the next journey of life in this transition period being reminded that God is always with them.
Homework should be done daily and will take the form of Maths revision using the my maths website as well as daily reading. Please ensure that you discuss books that the children are reading and ask the children questions. Also please ensure that the reading record books are signed daily.